Fashion

Polka Dots in Court: A Casual Office Outfit

My first outfit post received such great support so I am incorporating more fashion and beauty posts to the blog. Make sure to stay connected and don’t miss a beat as new and exciting things are coming to the blog.

I had promised on Facebook that I was going to have this post up earlier today but I had a very awkward day. Somehow, someway, on my walk to court this morning I managed to cut my ankle. Initially I thought I had just hit myself so I kept on walking. I realized after going through security and looking down at my shoes that there was blood on my foot. (yuck!) Although minimal, the cut caused my foot to swell up. Putting any pressure on it hurt horribly. The pain is now gone and I [hopefully]may be able to walk tomorrow without limping. What a day, right? The good thing about this incident is that I realized I should have a little first aid kit with me — and possibly slow down haha. Now onto the outfit post.

I wore this outfit to a master immigration court hearing a few weeks back. My go-to outfits for criminal court are usually black suits because they make me feel more empowered. Trust me, when advocating for my clients the more “empowered” I feel, the better. For immigration court, however, I can get by with more casual wear, specially for master hearings. Master hearings are basically short hearings where we give the judge a status update on the underlying case or show up to file paperwork. During these hearings, I am in front of a judge for no more than five minutes.

Usually if I am only going to be in court for a bit and expect to go back to the office for the rest of the day I try to dress as comfortable as can be. Comfort is the key to productivity.

This day was right before a big storm hit Southern California, and as a true Californian I was freezing in 65 degree weather. I decided to wear pants to stay warm and comfortable. I paired the pants with a white polka dot top and a warm blazer. Ideally, I would have paired this outfit with nice warm booties but the pair of booties that I have are extremely uncomfortable for distance walking and when in downtown Los Angeles, I have to walk at least a block or two … or five to get to my car.

Outfit Detail

This page contains affiliate links, via Amazon and Target, for which I receive a very small amount of compensation and at no charge to you . However, all views, and opinions are 100% my own.

Pants – Originals are old style from Express. (Similar)
Blouse (Similar)
Blazer (Exact)
Shoes (Exact)
Purse (Same Style, different color)

Although this outfit may seem a little too “casual” for court, it definitely works for these type of hearings. Of course, for individual immigration hearings (which resemble trials) I opt for full suits or dress suits. This outfit would also be great for just a business casual day at the office.

I hope you enjoyed this outfit post. Let me know what type of outfits you want to see featured. As stated above, new things are coming to the blog and I’m excited and hope you are too. The next outfit post will be a more casual mom outfit so stay tuned!

P.S. – Bear with me as I am trying to try out different poses and shoot on self-timer. #BloggerStruggles!

Xoxo – L.

Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory Vote For Me @ The Top Mommy Blogs Directory

Attorney Outfit. Business Casual Business Outfit. Polka Dots to the Office. Tory Burch Purse.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

14 Comments

• Reply Elizabeth

Great outfit! Classy and professional. Hope your ankle is feeling better!

March 2, 2017 at 8:56 am
    • Reply adventureswithnico@gmail.com

It eventually did get better. Now its still sensitive to certain touch but I just cannot for the life of me figure out what happened haha.

March 11, 2017 at 9:56 pm
  • Reply heart, home and hope

I love this outfit so much! (And I think your photos are lovely!)

March 2, 2017 at 10:14 am
    • Reply adventureswithnico@gmail.com

Haha thank you! I took them at a plaza near a court so I was trying to make sure no colleagues saw me.

March 11, 2017 at 9:55 pm
  • Reply mamabops

This is a perfect outfit for a more casual court appearance. I used to do some work in the Family Court and it was more casual than the “regular” court. I always struggled with finding something court-appropriate but not over-the-top for those appearances.

March 2, 2017 at 6:03 pm
    • Reply adventureswithnico@gmail.com

While in law school I did a judicial externship in family court and I remember a PD would always wear full suits, she loved light colored skirt suits and although she looked so well put together, she would always stand out because as you said, its more casual. I absolutely loved her style though haha.

March 11, 2017 at 9:54 pm
  • Reply Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms

I really like that shirt. I have never been able to wear button downs, but outfits like this make me want to!

March 2, 2017 at 9:47 pm
    • Reply adventureswithnico@gmail.com

I always feel like I look weird with button downs, the collar has to be short enough where I don’t look weird haha.

March 11, 2017 at 9:53 pm
  • Reply bettybrico

Interesting. I really enjoyed reading about the elements of your outfits and what you and choose and why for court hearings. New perspective on a very old subject! Hmm I’d be kind of interested in hearing what your clients wear? Do you ever advise them to dress a certain way, or do you just leave their appearance totally up to them?

March 3, 2017 at 1:21 am
    • Reply adventureswithnico@gmail.com

Some clients do ask me how they should dress, I usually just tell them to do business casual. I personally love it when they dress up without us having to tell them. For example, I had a client a few years back that would wear a suit whenever he came to our office to meet with us and to court. One time a judge even told me to tell him thanks for dressing up and showing respect. He told me he only did it on those two occasions because he knew our time was valuable and wanted to show both the judge and us respect. There are some days though that I cringe when I see my client walk into the courtroom, think club attire 🙁 haha.

March 11, 2017 at 9:53 pm
  • Reply Stephanie Lowry

I love this look! Would be perfect for upcoming interviews after we move. Not to mention I am a bit obsessed with that bag!

March 3, 2017 at 5:57 am
    • Reply adventureswithnico@gmail.com

I’ve been meaning to move out of that bag but life just doesn’t let me haha.

March 11, 2017 at 9:50 pm
  • Reply Belle

This is such a great outfit! And I love that red purse!

Belle | One Awesome Momma